Re: Recovery Question

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 7 Apr 2005 10:28:12 -0700

ame..._at_iwc.net wrote:
> David,
>
> I'm simply trying to understand what is happening here. We took a
hot
> backup of all of our tablespaces last night as well as a backup of
the
> control file.
>
> I copied those files to a second server and tried to open the
database.
> It told me that the system tablespace needed media recovery. I do
not
> understand this since it was just a simple copy from a hot backup.
>
> At any rate, I started the recovery. The backup was taken at 8:00pm
> last night. It is now applying logs from 1:00am this morning. How
can
> that be is all the datafiles and control files were from 8:00pm last
> night.
>
> That is what I am trying to make sense of.

You don't take a hot backup of your database and try to use it to make a clone on another server, at least not without RMAN. And, your SYSTEM tablespace is probably fine; it's likely some OTHER tablespace file which is in a more recent state than your SYSTEM tablespace.

To do this properly you would cleanly shutdown the source instance, make a COLD backup, then transfer these copies to your second server. Such copies need NO recovery, and barring any unforseen corruption from the file transfers you'd have a running instance. The complete instructions have been given numerous times in this newsgroup, so you should search for them.

I would, in your situation, start OVER, take a COLD backup of your database and begin your cloning process there.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Apr 07 2005 - 12:28:12 CDT