Re: migriate the oracle9204 throught copying datefile between different linux.

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2005 02:51:30 -0700

cnwy_at_263.net (yoke wang) wrote in message news:<42c18ceb.0504061737.28ecdf7b_at_posting.google.com>...
> > Regrettably this is NOT true. All database files are O/S dependent.
> > consequently a platform swap requires the exp/imp juggle.
> >
> > The O/P will fail miserably thanks to your advice.
>
> But I don't think RedFlag DC Server4.1(2.4.21-9.30AX
> smp) and RedHat Advanced Server3.0(update 3 kernel 2.4.21-20 smp) are
> two different OS in essential.It just likes the relationship of
> Redhat9 and Redhat Advanced Server.
> The only differece is the kernel,and I installed oracle9204 with
> the same install disks(both using gcc 296).And the datafiles are on a
> ext3 filesystem on the Disk Array.
> I want to know how many risk for this case and what they are on
> earth.
> BTW,Must I reintall the oracle if I upgrade the kernel?
>
> Thanks.

As you are of the experimental type, and ignore advice to stay on the safe side,and seem to know things better, why don't just upgrade the kernel?
And if it doesn't work,yes, why don't you just reinstall where relink would have been sufficient?
Linux is an O/S developed and maintained by and run by hackers, so if you just want to hack your way out, instead of reading *documented* and proven procedures, why not just go ahead?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA