Re: EMC Snap Clones vs. Data Guard

From: Dusan Bolek <spambin_at_seznam.cz>
Date: 7 Apr 2005 00:57:37 -0700

dperry3_at_bellsouth.net wrote:
> We use RMAN to back up all of our databases. Since the production
> databases have grown beyond 1/2 terabyte, we no longer feel that RMAN
> can restore either database within the 4 hour window that management
> feels is acceptable. Two solutions are being looked at: Data Guard &
> Snap Clones.
>
> Data Guard is the preferred choice of the DBA's but the system
> engineers would like Snap Clones. Both sides offer good arguements
for
> their respective positions. I would like to get some advice from
> someone that has faced a similar situation or a DBA that is currently
> using Snap Clones(pros & cons).

If you will be able to get money for it, I would strongly propose SRDF in your situation. The idea of Snap Clones seems to me quite risky and according to my experiences, compared with DG, SRDF is much more stable and an operation friendly solution for DR. For backup purposes I'm recommending you using of RMAN together with BCVs. With these two technologies involved you can backup database of virtually any size in a few minutes (from Oracle point of view).

--
Dusan Bolek
http://www.db-support.com

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email will face an
unpleasant end as SPAM.