Re: Definiitvely need sizing help

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:33:54 -0700

Gerold Krommer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have some limited Oracle experience with the appliation that we are
> selling. The database sizes have so far been in the hundreds of GB range,
> but now I have something coming up that is a little bit more demanding and I
> have no clue how to size this, especially as Intermedia is involved.
>
> Here are the figures as well as we know it currently:
>
> The one central table is growing 550 mill rows a year, an average of 2,2
> mill/day but with peaks of 8 mill/day. One row has an estimated 300 bytes of
> 'structured' datafields (int, string) and 3 text fields with 2000 Bytes,
> which will be full text indexed using Oracle Intermedia (aka text). There
> will be 12 more 'regular' (b-tree) indices say 20 bytes each.
>
> This table will be replicated to another server.
>
> The database needs to store a max of 8 years of data, then the oldest will
> be deleted.
>
> We have a net of approx. 1.2 TB of data (for 8 years). How big on earth can
> the indices get?
> Retrieval is extremly low, 4000 queries/day.
>
> Just an assumption: Can an HP rp7400/900Mhz,8 GB RAM and 8 CPUs handle this
> load?
>
> I know all about the sizing problems. We do not have to give a firm
> commitment, but just make rough estimates. Please do not ask for more detail
> as I do not have any, but any comments is very welcome.
>
> /gerold

Think partitioning option

Think local indexes

Can't possibly help you with hardware sizing given that we have no idea what your queries are doing. An ORDER BY clause, or outer-join, or whatever could have a huge affect.

My suggestion in addition to partitioning. Take that 8way box out on a forklife and replace it with a RAC cluster. Then you can just add inexpensive commodity hardware 2 CPUs at a time until you get what you want.

BTW: What is the SLA with your customers?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington