Re: Q?s re: ASM

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 01:57:52 GMT

GeoPappas wrote:

> - My understanding is that many volume managers will mark that
> block/sector as bad and continue on. What happens under an ASM raw
> disk if a disk block/sector goes bad?
>
> - We currently have a Sun Fire V880 w/ (6) disks and only one hard disk
> controller. We will be procuring another controller for HA (high
> availability) but that will probably take at least a few weeks (and
> maybe months). If I set up ASM with one controller and normal
> redundancy (i.e., two failure groups), will I be able to later add
> another controller (with each failure group controlled by one
> controller)?

Question 1: I don't know, that's a good question for Metalink (or, figure out a way to test it yourself, but I don't know offhand how to force a "bad block" at the hardware level).

Question 2: ASM doesn't know about controllers per se, in fact ASM can actually work with a cooked file. ASM looks for "paths" that identify whole disks, partitions, logical drives, NAS files, and so on. Adding a controller would probably add one or more ASM "paths" on most platforms. If you start with a normal redundant (or better) ASM configuration, you should be able to add new ASM "disks" as your paths change, and drop old ones if necessary.

Ans: Test it.

-Mark Bole Received on Wed Apr 06 2005 - 20:57:52 CDT