Re: Migration of Oracle 8i -> 10g + HACMP

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 21:33:05 +0200

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:13:45 +0200, "Matthias Hoys" <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>We are planning a migration of our AIX 5.2 Oracle 8i databases to Oracle 10g
>by the end of this year.
>Our most important production systems are clustered 2 by 2 with HACMP. These
>clusters are active-active clusters, where each node has sufficient
>resources to take over the instances running on the other node during a
>failover.
>I have some questions regarding the migration operation :
>1) Can we run both Oracle 8i and 10g concurrently on the same AIX 5.2 server
>?
>2) Do all the nodes of a HACMP cluster need to have the same Oracle versions
>? Can we upgrade the Oracle db on one node and upgrade the other node a few
>weeks later (without loosing the failover possibility).
>3) Resources : does Oracle 10g consume more resources (memory, CPU,
>diskspace, ...) than Oracle 8i ?
>4) Installation of 10g : should we use the already existing Oracle 8i AIX
>account (with a different Oracle home) to install the software or is it
>better to create a new user ?
>
>Thanks,
> Matthias Hoys

  1. That should be possible. Whether it is wise is a different story.
  2. Yes. I don't think so, but you would need to verify that in the migration documentation
  3. this is again a doc question
  4. Do NOT use a new user. You will soon regret it. A new Oracle home is mandatory, but sufficient.
--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA