startup not reading control file?

From: <laredotornado_at_zipmail.com>
Date: 6 Apr 2005 08:45:02 -0700

Hello, I have Oracle 8.1.7.4 installed on Solaris. I am having a problem starting up my instance. The log tells me it cannot find my control file...

According to the alert log ...

Wed Apr 6 11:31:12 2005
ORA-00202: controlfile: 'ora_control1'
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory Additional information: 3
Wed Apr 6 11:31:15 2005
ORA-205 signalled during: alter database mount...

I'm trying to create another control file using the "alter system backup controlfile to trace" command, but I'm never able to mount the database to run that command. Here's what happens when I try and mount the database

SVRMGR> startup mount pfile=/my/path/dbs/init.ora ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                         25321148 bytes
Fixed Size                                         102076 bytes
Variable Size                                    24924160 bytes
Database Buffers                                   204800 bytes
Redo Buffers                                        90112 bytes
ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info

Can you help? - Dave Received on Wed Apr 06 2005 - 10:45:02 CDT