RAC, Duplicate Database - All Logfiles Assigned to Thread 1?

From: Jesse <davisjj_public_at_comcast.net>
Date: 6 Apr 2005 06:40:10 -0700

Hi all! I posted this in a Metalink forum, but I figured that I one of y'all might have come across (and you're probably not roaming around in the depths of an obscure Metalink forum ;-).

Here's our system info:

RDBMS Version: 9.2.0.4
Operating System and Version: Windows 2003 Server EE Product (i.e. SQL*Loader, Import, etc.): RMAN Product Version: 9.2.0.4
Other Notes: 2-node RAC cluster using OCFS

...and here's the problem:

We have a two-node production RAC setup and I am using RMAN's "DUPLICATE DATABASE" command to copy the production database to a two-node development RAC setup. After a lot of testing/tweaking, I have gotten this to work (Using DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT in init and LOGFILE clause in "Duplicate Database" command), except for one problem...

Once the duplication is done, the second instance (i.e. thread 2) will not mount because the logfiles are all assigned to thread 1 (and you need at least two assigned to thread 2 for the second instance to start). I can use "alter" commands after the fact to fix this, but I was wondering if there was any to specify the thread in the LOGFILE clause when executing "DUPLICATE TARGET DATABASE TO xxx."

Here's my current rman script (both nodes in aux database are in nomount):

run
{
allocate auxiliary channel ch1 device type disk;
allocate auxiliary channel aux1 device type disk;
allocate auxiliary channel aux2 device type disk;
allocate auxiliary channel aux3 device type disk;
duplicate target database to od0rac
logfile
'j:\oradata\od0rac\redo01.log' size 100M reuse,
'j:\oradata\od0rac\redo02.log' size 100M reuse,
'j:\oradata\od0rac\redo03.log' size 100M reuse,
'j:\oradata\od0rac\redo04.log' size 100M reuse;
}
exit;

I cannot find anything in the documentation for RMAN concerning thread assignment for the LOGFILE clause. When I tried leaving the logfile clause out and using the LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT init parameters instead, I ran into similar problems. Any ideas???

Thanks.

Jesse Received on Wed Apr 06 2005 - 08:40:10 CDT