Definiitvely need sizing help

From: Gerold Krommer <g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 11:07:24 +0200

Hi all,

I have some limited Oracle experience with the appliation that we are selling. The database sizes have so far been in the hundreds of GB range, but now I have something coming up that is a little bit more demanding and I have no clue how to size this, especially as Intermedia is involved.

Here are the figures as well as we know it currently:

The one central table is growing 550 mill rows a year, an average of 2,2 mill/day but with peaks of 8 mill/day. One row has an estimated 300 bytes of 'structured' datafields (int, string) and 3 text fields with 2000 Bytes, which will be full text indexed using Oracle Intermedia (aka text). There will be 12 more 'regular' (b-tree) indices say 20 bytes each.

This table will be replicated to another server.

The database needs to store a max of 8 years of data, then the oldest will be deleted.

We have a net of approx. 1.2 TB of data (for 8 years). How big on earth can the indices get?
Retrieval is extremly low, 4000 queries/day.

Just an assumption: Can an HP rp7400/900Mhz,8 GB RAM and 8 CPUs handle this load?

I know all about the sizing problems. We do not have to give a firm commitment, but just make rough estimates. Please do not ask for more detail as I do not have any, but any comments is very welcome.

/gerold Received on Wed Apr 06 2005 - 04:07:24 CDT