Re: Dual Processor Server or 2 x Single Processor RAC Nodes?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 22:36:55 -0700

Mike Cretan wrote:

> Hi there Gentlemen and Ladies.
>
> I am in a bit of a quandry...
>
> We need to upgrade our oracle licenses from the current single processor
> Oracle standard licence (which we run on Windows 2000 sp4 with 6 x Direct
> Attach SCSI 18GB Drives in a raid 1 and raid 10 configuration) to a dual
> processor configuration for performance and reliability reasons.
>
> We have the option of either purchasing another Oracle Standard Edition CPU
> licence for $19K, plus to the ongoing support costs or purchasing a new 2 x
> CPU licence of Oracle Standard Edition One for $12K. The Oracle salesmen
> say that OSE1 doesn't include RAC, but would we want to RAC in a small
> system like this?
>
> So given this scenario, would we be better to just purchase OSE1 and run it
> on a single box, or would it be more strategic (for performance, scalability
> and future licensing reasons) for us to run a dual node RAC, and move our
> storage into (say) an iSCSI SAN.
>
> Our business is becoming more reliant on the database, and down time is not
> desirable, but we are no means 24x7.
>
> Your advice is appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Mike Cretan (mgcnews@_no_tascol._sp_com._am_au - remove the "_no_" "_sp_"
> "_am_" bits for for my email address)

There are two main reasons for RAC. One is high availability the other the ability to purchase low-cost commodity hardware and, essentially build your own mainframe over time.

Since it appears you have the hardware already lets look at what high availability really means. You may not be a 7x24 shop but what is the cost to the business if the machine you have burns itself to the ground during a critical business period, end-of-month invoicing? payroll? etc. Murphy's law clearly dictates that no machine ever blow up when it isn't needed. So I think you need to better define your need before I would feel comfortable making a recommendation.

But keep in mind high availability means backing up the power conditioning, backing up the UPS's, backing up the air conditioning, backing up the diesel generator, etc. RAC, in and of itself, does not guarantee 7x24.

And it is Q4 so sweat your salesman a bit for something sweet. You should definitely be able to get some training thrown in. ;-)

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington