Re: Oracle installation problems

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:55:27 GMT

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:28:41 -0700, Steve interested us by writing:

I don't have my RHEL4 set up yet(and wont for a few weeks), so I can't help directly.

However, AS4 is based on 2.6, as is SuSE SLES 9. You might consider checking the SuSE site (http://www.suse.com and look for Oracle under the support certification matrix - it keeps moving) to see if there are any good guidelines for your situation.

One thing to keep in mind is that Oracle9i and RedHat EL4 are basically incompatible because they stem from different vintages of the glibc (sort of like a blood type A+ and B- marriage ... can be made to work but). Ever since the glibc upgrade in the Linux world, the Oracle9i DBA's life has been moderately miserable, as [s]he needs to make adjustments for the change, including resurrecting the old gcc 2.95.

Consider going up to DB 10g if you want an easier time of it.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com