What is the KFED utility in Oracle 10g?

From: Roger Jackson <rjackson1_at_hotkey.net.au>
Date: 5 Apr 2005 05:08:04 -0700

Hi,

While going through the ins_rdbms.mk file under $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib I found a reference to a utility called kfed.

ie.
$(KFED): $(ALWAYS) $(KFED_DEPS) $(DEF_OPT)
$(SILENT)$(ECHO)
$(SILENT)$(ECHO) "Linking KFED utility (kfed)"
$(RMF) $@
$(KFED_LINKLINE)
When I tried to compile the program in my Red Hat Linux environment I ended up with the following error.

make -f ins_rdbms.mk $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/kfed

Linking KFED utility (kfed)
..
..
gcc: /u01/app/oracle/product/10.1.0/db_1/rdbms/lib/sskfeded.o: No such file or directory

However after a bit more research I found a file called ssskfeded.o which I renamed to sskfeded.o which did the trick.

After compiling the program I did a strings -a on the binary and found that it has something to do with ASM.

Can someone please provide further details on what this utility does?

Since I cannot find any details in the Oracle Documentation or Metalink I'm assuming this utility is for Oracle internal use only.

Cheers,

Roger. Received on Tue Apr 05 2005 - 07:08:04 CDT