Re: ASM and O/S Security

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:32:51 GMT

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:33:42 +0200, Volker Hetzer interested us by writing:

>> However, ASM is geared toward managing Oracle-related data, as compared
>> to traditional files, and it is not meant to be used in place of a
>> traditional file system for non-Oracle files.
> Huh?
> But the doc talks about ASM files and directories!

Looking through the Concepts and DBA manuals again, I see repeated emphasis of "Automatic Storage Management automates and simplifies the layout of datafiles, control files, and log files." ... everything being oriented towards ORACLE related files but NOT general purpose files.

Even more to the point - look at the final entry in table 12-2 of the 10g DBA manual:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10739/storeman.htm#i1023250

I stick with my conclusion that ASM has a specific purpose (support Oracle use) and an Oracle environment tends to have few large files rather than the typical file system which tends to be geared towards many (millions?) of very small files.

Different tool, different purpose, different optimization.

(Of course, I've known people who will use an electric drill to hammer nails. Possible, but not necessarily optimal.)

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com