Re: ASM and O/S Security

From: Ronald Rood <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:58:43 +0200

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 18:33:42 +0200, Volker Hetzer wrote (in article <d2rq95$ono$1_at_nntp.fujitsu-siemens.com>):

> "HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 06:00:30 -0700, GeoPappas interested us by writing:
>>
>>> I was reading about how ASM uses raw partitions, instead of an O/S file
>>> system, and had a few questions:
>>>
>>> - Does this mean that the O/S is not used for ASM at all?

>> IMO, you are mixing metaphors.
>>
>> I like to think of ASM replacing the file system layer for an existing
>> operating system. As examples: for a Windows machine you would have NTFS,
>> Fat32 and ASM; for Linux, ext3, ReiserFS and ASM.
>>
>> However, ASM is geared toward managing Oracle-related data, as compared
>> to traditional files, and it is not meant to be used in place of a
>> traditional file system for non-Oracle files.
> Huh?
> But the doc talks about ASM files and directories!
>
> Lots of Greetings!
> Volker

That is correct, create asm disks on raw partitions. Multiple raw partitions can build an asm disk. On the asm disks are datafiles, redologfiles, archives, controlfiles, backupsets and spfiles, all grouped in directories. It really is very nice and if you want to use cheap disks for the database I would take a serious look at it.
One of the advantages over raw partitions is more managebility from within the database without the need for extra software or SAN stuff and at the same time create a very robust and redundant database.

With kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten, Ronald

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle Received on Mon Apr 04 2005 - 12:58:43 CDT