Re: High Availability Requirements/Concepts

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 08:41:33 -0700

Gump wrote:

> I cannot have a constant test environment at the secondary site. I
> need to be able to utilise the standby database. Can I turn off the
> data guard functionality and bring up the standby database as a normal
> database?

Yes but this requires that you pay for the licenses and I would suggest that you acquaint yourself with Murphy's Law. There is no point in even instituting DataGuard if you will undoubtedly have compromised the machine at the exact moment it is meant to go live.

So here's my suggestion. Since you have to pay for the licenses anyway do this:

On machine two create two databases. One for test and one as a standby. Run both simultaneously one always in standby mode and one always active.

If the primary instance fails over to the standby then do a SHUTDOWN ABORT on test until the primary is recovered.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington