Re: Exotic Blocksize 6144 Byte

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:20:29 GMT

Mark D Powell wrote:
> I do not claim to be familiar with the details of the NTFS file system
> structure but if I remember from the manuals that covered formatting my
> new harddrive back in the days when you upgraded PC rather than buy new
> ones the 512k chunk on disk was the device sector size. The OS
> however, reads and writes multiple secotrs at a time. This grouping of
> sectors was called a cluster and generally was 2k, 4k, or 8k worth of
> sectors at a time. On any other system except Windows the cluster size
> would be called the block size. The cluster size dedended on the
> size/mdoel of the disk drive and how it was partitioned.

Checked and you are perfectly right about the cluster size in windows depending, usually, by the size of the formatted device. The only limit seems to be 4K so the OP shouldn't be able to have a ntfs with cluster size of 6k and as you pointed out there would be waste of i/o of 25% for every operation.

Thank you for the clarification.

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com