Re: Oracle 10G Limux ASM Library - NEWBIE QUESTION

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 08:02:23 GMT

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I have REDHAT Linux 9 on my PC. I have downloaded Oracle 10G for Linux
> X86 and installed it. I set up a ASM database instance and it did not
> give me any errors. I also used ASM for a few tablespaces in another
> database instance.
>
> I did not downloaded Oracle 10G ASMLIB from OTN at all, so I am
> confused whether I really need this library or not.
>

> Also, If I need this library which Library will I download:
>
> REDHAT ADVNACED SERVER 2.1 (X86)
> OR
> READHAT ENTEPRISE LUNIX 3AS (X86)
>

> I KNOW ORACLE DOES NOT SUPPORT REDAHT LINUX 9, BUT MY ORACLE 10g
> INSTALLATION WITHOUT ASMLIB SEEMS
> TO WORK JUST FINE, SO I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE WITH redhat 9 instead
> of installing redhat advanced server 2.1 or enterprise linux 3AS and
> then installing 10G all over again and finally downloading ASMLIB.
>

> THANKS,
>
> PREM

ASMLib are not compulsary when using ASM on linux. They purpuse is to help in the volume management and nothing other.

Marc Slemko posted on oracle-l and suse-oracle some useful findings on the subject which make me think these libraries are still a work in progress and too young for a production environment.

(In particular they cut performance setting a low value of ASM_MAX_IOSIZE directly in the source code).

Regards

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com