Guide for Oracle 10g installation on Solaris 10 GA?

From: Andrew Tyson <atyson_at_optus.please.refrain.from.spamming.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:57:38 +1000

Hi,

Having just installed Solaris 10 GA on my SB1K I thought I might attempt   an Oracle 10g install. Despite Sun/Oracle promulgating that the version of the OS is supported I notice that the installation only alludes to Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 as compatible platforms.

I managed to overcome the first hurdle of tweaking the runInstaller script to accept SunOS 5.10, however I notice that the installation broke once it tried creating the initial sample DB. I got quite a few errors with regards to the TNS listener, and also to the effect that various system parameters relating to shared memory and semaphores weren't set correctly.

In light of the fact that most of the Oracle specified Solaris kernel tunable parameters are deprecated I attempted to replicate the required settings by associating a Solaris 'project' with the 'oinstall' group and setting various parameters this way, extract from /etc/project as follows

oracle:101:Oracle Project For System
Parameters:oracle:oinstall,dba:process.max-sem-nsems=(privileged, 256,

none);project.max-sem-ids=(privileged, 100,
none);project.max-shm-ids=(privileged, 100,
none);project.max-shm-memory=(privileged, 4294967295b, none)

There is not a direct mapping between the old system tunable parameters and the new project based parameters as far as I can tell though.

Is there any form of guide for the setup? I could not find anything useful through NG searches.

I would appreciate any helpful tips anyone might have.

Thanks and regards,
Andrew Received on Sat Apr 02 2005 - 21:57:38 CST