Re: Why MTS/Shared Server doesn't use round-robin?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2005 17:03:14 -0800

My understanding is 8ish and OCPish, and not too deep since my environments have invariably been performance oriented, and shared server is a scalability thing.

Anyways, it is a load balancing scenario. The listener looks at the connection load for each dispatcher and directs the client connection request to the least loaded dispatcher. This can be extended to balancing among multiple listeners (
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=75712.1 ).

So to answer your question, each dispatcher has input and output queues in the SGA, and since you don't know how long it will take for each request queue to be serviced, you wouldn't want one slow servicing unbalancing your round.

If you want to force round robin: see event 10258 http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=106624.1

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.