Re: 2 * Oracle opdracht in Amstelveen

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2005 16:10:10 -0800

>As far as I'm concerned, if the charter of the group does not
>specifically specify English as the language of the group, then the
>linguisto-fascists can go screw themselves - this is a mutual self
>help forum - if you can't help the poster out in the language that
>they use, then don't help them.

The charter is a decent fundamental document, but is not all-inclusive.  These groups also have an - shoot, I was about to use a German word, then an English word derived from French - uh, environment, yeah, that's it, that is a summation of the feelings and postings of the group. These may or may not be put into a FAQ, and there may be substantial difference of opinion. There may even be more than one FAQ! I'm sure I've seen posts that support what Dusan says, but I couldn't find them with a brief search.

I would note that English is the base language of Oracle - even metalink asks as one of the first questions to submit a tar - and surmise it isn't in the charters because when they were written, such a question would have been out in left field, it was English only.

The problem with allowing multiple languages is the same as allowing job postings (or whatever): the group can suddenly and irreversably be overwhelmed with them.

This is one of those things I think the feeling of the group is English-only.

There is a possible inference to be made that English is the base language of usenet if you search for the word English here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.