Re: Is 10g ready for primetime?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2005 14:47:52 -0800

>to dismiss without even looking at it is stupid when you havent
>a clue what may be wrong with it. Evaluate then dismiss is the >only
sensible option

Not sensible if no environmental parameters are given. I mean really - have you evaluated every weirdo option potentially given in all OCP exams? If so, why? If not, why not? (And if so, man, where do you get the time and funding?)

But seriously, you seem to be missing the point that some site requirements really can rule out new stuff a priori. Those same sorts of reqs often lead to situations that flabbergast Sybrand (and the rest of us :-) If you don't like those places, avoid them. There are a lot of them, though. And yes, they often may be doing themselves a disservice. Eventually they will need things to be done "right." That's when they pay. Nobody says economic or technical efficiency will happen immediately in an organization that isn't efficient, and some people recognize the time to correct may be infinite. How many banks do you know of have gone out of business due to not being on the database cutting edge? The ones that didn't keep up simply got acquired by those who were better capitalized, or bought systems when banking systems became more or less commoditized. Banks fail when they make bad loans, not bad technical decisions.

Expecting management decisions to appear sensible to a narrow technical focus is not sensible.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.spamroll.com/