Re: dbwr and lgwr don't shutdown

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:58:48 GMT

HansF wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:34:37 +0200, Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:20:13 GMT, HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:
>>

>>>1) Are you saying this is NFS and not SAN or NAS? That leads to a
>>>possible area of interest.
>>
>>Isn't SAN or NAS always running on top of NFS? The older versions of
>

> That's not quite the way I learned it, but I won't argue (too much) -
> except with the 'always' word. <g>

SAN is on top of SCSI or Fiber Channel.
There is an implementation using TCP called iSCSI.

>>NFS use the UDP protocol, which by definition is unsafe, as packet
>>receipt is not acknowlegded by the receiving party.
>

> This is heading in the same direction I was heading - the current SAN/NAS
> protocols tend to be safe, whereas pure NFS has been known to cause
> 'write-confirmation' issues on occasion.

NFS can be used on top of TCP instead of UDP and the modern implementation are much safer than the olds (but I'm not advocating the use of NFS for critical application: I have seen to many processes blocked in D state).

Regards

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com