Re: Is 10g ready for primetime?

From: Werner Klaus <werner_at_wklaus.de>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:26:09 +0200

GeoPappas wrote:

> I understand that 10g has been out for about a year or so. But from my
> experience you don't want to upgrade to a new version immediately. You
> want to wait a while for all of the "kinks" to be worked out (by other
> people who like to be on the "bleeding edge"). I was wondering if we
> have reached that point with 10g.
>
> I was also wondering how some of the newer features were working (such
> as RAC, AWS, and Data Guard) at this point.
>
> As the subject asks: I was wondering if Oracle 10g (enterprise edition)
> is ready for primetime? Specifically, I am looking for feedback on
> performance, HA (high-availability), and DR (disaster recovery).
>
> Are people using it for 24x7, mission-critical applications?
>
> Have all of the quirks been worked out?
>
> How about some of the newer features, such as:
>
> The lastest update of RAC?
>
> AWS (Automatic Storage Management)? I have heard that it is slow.
>
> Data Guard?

Since a week I try to install 10g on a Windows 2003 Server. No chance. The Installation runs into several errors (OCR..., DIM...) What I found out so far is that it doesn't work on a german platform. The patches offered ended in new problems or didn't change anything. Regards, W. Received on Thu Mar 31 2005 - 13:26:09 CST