Re: dbwr and lgwr don't shutdown

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:45:51 GMT

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:10:22 +0000, NetComrade wrote:

> This is a weird issue.
>
> We have a machine (v880/solaris8/latest recommended patch cluster),
> where a particular Standard Edition 9.2.0.5 database shuts down
> 'cleanly' yet leaves two processes behind, which we cannot kill unless
> reboot. The same database (storage attached to multiple machines) on a
> solaris7/e4500 machine comes up/shuts down fine. (i tiried to shutdown
> the rest with aborts, as you can see from the logs, didn't help)

Let me verify by paraphrasing:

  1. Two machines, V880 & E4500, set up to talk to same 9.2.0.5SE DB instance (controlled so it's not concurrent), with NAS or SAN (not sure which).

Database is started on one machine, then shutdown.

b) When E4500 (Solaris 7) is used, shutdown instance goes down properly;

c) When V880 (Solaris 8) is used, all shuts down except the two processes that are supposed to write (and wait for write verification) to the shared disk.

If this is true, perhaps you could indicate a bit more on the disk subsystem.

/Hans Received on Thu Mar 31 2005 - 12:45:51 CST