Re: Server crash!

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:47:59 GMT

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:12:42 -0800, Zak wrote:

> Our oracle server crashed. When it came back up nothing worked right.
> I keep getting service errors like "iSQL*Plus Application Server
> Service encountered a problem and needed to close.". I just am so lost
> because I have no idea where to start. I can't get into anything (i.e.
> SQL*Plus, EM). Any one ever have this happen or you just have an idea?
>
> -Zak

Don't panic! Let's think this through, slowly (with the info you gave IANAL_VISTA)

  1. The server crashed. What does this mean?

Now in the Oracle world (and many other databases), the term Server is used to mean several things. Following questions refer to different 'servers'...

Did the machine crash?
Did the operating system crash?
Did the Oracle Listener Service crash?
Did just the Oracle DB server (specifically the Oracle service) crash? Or did just the iSQLPlus App Server crash?

2) Assuming you rebooted the machine.

  1. Is the Oracle server up?
  2. Is the Oracle Listener service up?
  3. Is the iSQLPLUS server up?

Windows uses the control panel 'services' pane to display services. Oracle database instance is a registered service, and probably should have been started automatically - go to the Services applet and see whether the database server and listener (LSNR) are running?

If not, try to start the Listener first, then try to start the database instance.

I'm remote and only using *nix right now, so I'm not sure whether iSQLPLus Control is listed as a service, as a Start > Programs entry, or a command line. If the latter, open a DOS box (Command window), CD to %ORACLE_HOME%/bin and run something like 'isqlplusctl start'

If stuff is still not up, look for the file called 'alert.log', somewhere in the %ORACLE_HOME% directory tree. Look at the bottom to get hints about what went wrong.

HTH
/Hans Received on Thu Mar 31 2005 - 11:47:59 CST