Re: archive logging & tablespaces

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 31 Mar 2005 05:45:25 -0800

steph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Maybe it's a dumb question ... but, is it possible to turn on archive
> logging only for specific tablespaces?
>
> thanks,
> stephan

In 9iR2 and later it is possible (I am not certain this is true for earlier releases), using:

alter tablespace <tablespacename> nologging;

Any object in the tablespace created before the alter tablespace command is issued remains in the state assigned to it (either LOGGING or NOLOGGING); all objects created afterwards will be created NOLOGGING by default. Of course tables and indexes can be altered to a NOLOGGING state, and would require such action should a populated tablespace be altered to a NOLOGGING state. As I understand this the NOLOGGING attribute does not turn off all redo logging for the object in question, however it does reduce the redo generation considerably.

In a manner of speaking, yes, you can turn off archivelogging for a tablespace in that you're altering the redo log generation from objects in that tablespace, and archivelogs are archived copies of the genrated redo logs. This probably won't do exactly what you wanted, but I think it's the closest you're going to get.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Mar 31 2005 - 07:45:25 CST