Re: Some RMAN Guidance

From: rspeaker <rspeaker_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 17:04:26 -0800

Volker,

I initially looked at using 1-2 full backups per week and incrementals the other nights, but when I ran my test backup, the full backup took less than 30 minutes using parallelism of 2. With that short of a time, I saw no reason not to do nightly fulls to minimize recovery time.

Regarding the "why", I want to be able to do both DR recovery and also point-in-time, if needed. My hope is that, if I restore a backupset from TSM to my staging area, as long as it is within the recovery window defined in RMAN, that I would be able to use it to restore/recover. Granted I may need to resync or crosscheck. I'm testing that now (using a 'redundancy 7' setting and deleting today's full backup after 2 days, then restoring). I'll also be looking into backing up directly into TSM.

Thanks. Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 19:04:26 CST