Re: Is 10g ready for primetime?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 15:39:18 -0800

>> I have been in the IT business for quite a while (almost 20 years),
and
>> one thing I have learned is that you don't really want to use a dot
0
>> release (as in 10.0). Many "new" features are there, but not ready
for
>> prime-time and it takes a while to work the "kinks" out.

>what a stupid attitude, you dismiss something without even looking at
it

I have somewhat the same attitude. It makes a lot more sense if you look at it with the point of view of overbroad generalizations, which is necessary for management given the amount of BS they have to winnow to make such a decision. It winds up being the correct decision for the wrong reasons.

Think about it: if the only reason to upgrade is to use new features, and any new features are _bound_ to have problems when first released, doesn't it make sense to let others find the problems?

And of course, the "first release bad" axiom may not be paranoid enough when you are talking about management's ridiculously high expectations.  Hans mentions Dataguard as rock solid. I don't disagree... but it certainly had production-affecting problems well into 9. For most places, there's no way one can "properly" test a new feature, even Oracle can't. So there is value to letting others have the learning experiences and generate a body of knowledge beyond Oracle Press books - and yes, even myths, which usually have some grain of truth and can give a hypothesis to test.

So I don't think it is at all stupid to dismiss something new out-of-hand, given both the OP's environment and the experiences so many of us have had with marketing fluff. What is fluff in software sales is class-actionable in most industries.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus
"Apparently someone was supposed to shoot up the school on 4/20, and