Re: Some RMAN Guidance

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:23:59 +0200

"rspeaker" <rspeaker_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1112210329.402302.108230_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi, new to RMAN and have a few questions. Using Oracle 10g on AIX 5L.
> My plan was to implement RMAN hot backups, full, every night. The
> backups will be run to a disk staging area, which will later be backed
> up to tape using TSM. If I'm doing full backups every night, what
> should I set the recovery window to? If I set it to say, 14, but only
> have enough space in my staging area to hold 7 days worth (the rest are
> in TSM), can I later restore a backupset from TSM into the staging
> area, and have RMAN recognize it, as long as it is within the recovery
> window? Alternatively does anyone know of any good docs on integrating
> RMAN and TSM so I can back up directly to TSM? Thanks.
What is the reason for not using incremental or cumulative backups? If you're short of disk space you could also do a full backup weekly and then backup the archivelogs only. Of course, downtime during recovery can go through the roof with that.

Why do you want to recover? Is it strictly desaster recovery or point-in-time recovery too?

As for restoring only parts of the backup to the staging area, no idea how rman reacts if the accessible backups mismatch what he reads from the controlfile or catalog database.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 15:23:59 CST