Re: Is 10g ready for primetime?

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 10:35:02 -0800

How would anyone know if *all* of the bugs/kinks/quirks have been worked out?

My point is that one would want to test to make sure that none of the bugs that may or may not be in the oracle kernel that would affect your databases and app code are serious, prior to migrating to it.

I could see the line of reasoning of "why should I waste time testing on 10g Release 1 when Release 2 is just around the corner". You'd still be testing that release thoroughly, getting bugfix requests into Support as early as possible and not moving to production until after the first main patchset is out (and itself tested). That is likely at least 6 months away.

Here at my office, we started development on a new project on 10.1.0.3 last year, gained confidence on that release in development and then migrated QA databases to it, eventually migrated production databases to it.

Yes, we have hit a couple of issues in the 10.1.0.3 release which required minor recoding to avoid an ORA-3113 error. One was limited to win32, one was limited to lin32. None were major.

By saying "kinks" and "quirks" you did not mean "bugs"? I haven't seen any place on Metalink to report or search for "kinks". What exactly would make it "ready for "primetime" other than testing? A papal blessing perhaps?

Your original question sounds like an excellent one to be asked at your local Oracle User Group, say during an "Ask The Experts" segment, provided that its not dominated by marketing folk.

You might search the site "AskTom".
Here is a relevant post: http://tinyurl.com/6g8vq

originally submitted on 2-May-2004 17:59 Eastern US time

"Tom

You mentioned that the AskTom site was recently upgraded to 10g. I take it
therefore that you consider it to be of sufficient quality to run production
code, even though the officially released version is only a couple of months old ..."

-bdbafh Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 12:35:02 CST