Re: What is "User terminal"?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 07:06:00 -0800

The terminal is not necessarily the machine the user logged in from. That value should be found in the column named machine. The value in the terminal column can vary for the same username, osuser, and machine value on UNIX systems where the UNIX session is created via telnet or xterms.

USERNAME OSUSER SID SERIAL# ------------ ------------ ------ ------- APPL MACHINE APPL PROCESS TERMINAL

MPOWEL01     mpowel01         24     697
ddcdev1         133016       pts/18

MPOWEL01     mpowel01         45    1547
ddcdev1         118484       pts/2

As you can see each of my sessions has the same Oracle, OS user ID, and machine values but the terminal value differs for each of my sessions. For some of the connections made from PC clients the machine and terminal names match and for some of these connections the two columns hold different values. It depends on how the client machines are configured. The contents of the terminal column varies based on technical details behind the connection.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 09:06:00 CST