Re: Storage basics for Oracle DBA

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 30 Mar 2005 01:30:46 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> For those interested ... the system I tested is Apple's new XServe
RAID.
> It has two XOR engines, rather than the usual one, so that even
pulling
> a drive and forcing a rebuild causes almost no performance
degredation.

I often get my raid levels confused, but the Raid 0+1 described at http://images.apple.com/xserve/raid/pdf/20041104_XserveRAID_techoverview.pdf looks to me to be in fact RAID10, i.e mirror and then stripe rather than create stripe sets and then mirror.

We tend to do RAID5 for data and RAID1 for redo and arch and have done with it. We don't usually stress the system heavily enough for the difference to become apparent. My hunch is that many systems will be similar.

It is also worth pulling two disks rather than the more normal one to see what you lose.

Niall Received on Wed Mar 30 2005 - 03:30:46 CST