Re: Creating Oracle installation by copying binaries - urgent.

From: <joshic_at_mahindrabt.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2005 00:20:54 -0800

Ronald Rood wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:55:11 +0100, joshic_at_mahindrabt.com wrote
> (in article <1111838111.860534.170340_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > OS: Solaris 8 (64-bit)
> > Oracle Version : 9.2.0.4 / 9.2.0.6 (Enterprise Edition)
> >
> > I need to perform a task that I know is not supported by Oracle but
> > think is possible.
> >
> > <Summary>
> > Can we create a separate Oracle installation simply by copying
> > binaries? If so what are the steps involved? What are the risks?
> > </Summary>
>
> > I am thinking of trying the following:
> >
> > A. Shutdown all the databases.
> > B. Copy the binaries to a separate directory.
> > C. Start OUI. Provide a new Home name and the directory path
created in
> > step B.
> > D. Install the patch on the new Home.
>
> This (step C,D) won't work. You can copy an oracle installation and
run a
> database from it without any problems, as long as the ownership and
access
> privs are correct. You can not patch such an installation because you
have no
> way to update the inventory.
> For the patch process to work, the inventory and the installation[s]
need to
> be in-sync.
> You can try to trick the installer by forcing a new inventory for
every
> installation but I really would not do it since it's a bit error
prone.

> With kind regards / met vriendelijke groeten,
> Ronald
>
> http://ronr.nl/unix-dba
> http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle

Thanks Ronald, Rauf, Svend and Matthias for replying.

It's a development environment, so I can do some experimentation. Actually, I tried these steps in Windows environment. I am not sure how, but the patch got applied and the 'Installed products' option was showing 9.2.0.1 followed by 9.2.0.5 Patch in that Oracle Home. But I was not able to get it running successfully. I will go further with the experiment on Windows as and when I get time. I still have a feeling it is possible.

Meanwhile, any more ideas please?

Thanks & regards,
Charu. Received on Sun Mar 27 2005 - 02:20:54 CST