Re: Creating Oracle installation by copying binaries - urgent.

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Mar 2005 05:35:35 -0800

joshic_at_mahindrabt.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> OS: Solaris 8 (64-bit)
> Oracle Version : 9.2.0.4 / 9.2.0.6 (Enterprise Edition)
>
> I need to perform a task that I know is not supported by Oracle but I
> think is possible.
>
> <Summary>
> Can we create a separate Oracle installation simply by copying
> binaries? If so what are the steps involved? What are the risks?
> </Summary>
>
> Please read on for details.
>
> We have a 9.2.0.4 software installation on the Solaris server. My
task
> is to create a separate 9.2.0.6 installation on the same server under
> different Oracle_Home and point some of the existing databases to it.
>
> Normally, I would either:
>
> A. Install the 9.2.0.6 software directly under separate home, upgrade
> the specified databases and set/modify apporpriate environment
> variables for the database.
>
> or, if that is not available:
>
> B. Installer 9.2.0.x (where x < 6) software under a separate home,
> apply the 9.2.0.6 patch on that home and upgrade DBs etc.
>
> The problem is that currently I only have the installers for 9.2.0.6
> patch. I don't have any full-fledged installers for 9i R2. My belief
is
> that patch has be applied on a existing installation and is not
useful
> on its own.
>
> I am thinking of trying the following:
>
> A. Shutdown all the databases.
> B. Copy the binaries to a separate directory.
> C. Start OUI. Provide a new Home name and the directory path created
in
> step B.
> D. Install the patch on the new Home.
>
> The question here is will it work? Will the inventory get updated
> correctly by copying of binaries? Are there any additional steps I
need
> to follow?
>
> Awaiting your opinion.
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Charu.

If this is just a sandbox... you can try and see if it will work. If it's production, then ONLY do whatever is supported by Oracle... i.e. a) Apply 9.2.0.6 patchset to existing 9.2.0.4 and upgrade databases OR b) Install 9iR2 in separate home and apply 9.2.0.6 patchset. If you don't have the 9iR2 installation software, you can download it.

Regards
/Rauf Received on Sat Mar 26 2005 - 07:35:35 CST