Re: Default column value of MAX +1 of column - possible in Oracle 9i?

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 07:20:32 GMT

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:46:49 GMT, HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:56:33 +0000, wrote:
>

>> Triggers are evil. They don't scale well and they make application
>> changes more awkward, time-consuming and expensive.
>
>Hmmmm. By implication:
>
>It is better to lock the information, punt it across a network, look at
>the information, make a decision, punt the ressolved data back across the
>network, unlock the record. And this is more scalable, how?
>
>And looking for the same - er, just similar - code in 15 different
>application components is less awkward than looking for one trigger.
>

>I suppose the difference in thought process could be attributed to
>different experiences.
>
>I've heard very similar arguments from people who have experience with a
>different RDBMS and are trying to do a single multi-platform fiasco, as
>well as people who really have not learned how to use triggers (or even
>databases) well - although they excelled in other languages.
>
>But my experience indiocates exactly the opposite of your statement. IU'd
>appreciate you back up your comments with some stats.
>
>/Hans

You have an application. A minor correction must be made. It is now easier to implement a trigger instead of changing the code. So you do.

Next time you need corrections, another trigger is implemented. And so you continue n times.

You now have 2 tracks to housekeep: The original application code AND the triggers. One is flow-based, and one is event-based (the triggers). And those 2 tracks have to be coordinated. This will get more and more tedious over time, as the application logic changes over time, mostly in a more complicated direction.

Result : More errors, more difficult and expensive application development. Which gets worse and worse over time. In that sense you have reduced scalability regarding your application's ability to implement changes over time.

I've seen the effect of this a lot of times, and the above logic tells me why.

BTW : If one logical application corrrection results in 15 physical corrections as you mentioned, your application is.....doubious. But rather than introduction triggers I would go for the correct solution : modularizing the code, making one logical correction equal to one physical correction.