Re: exp/imp and NLS

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 02:12:38 GMT

astalavista wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have to transfert a schema
> from a DB 9i to a new DB 8i,
> unfortunately the DB9 is in AL32UTF8
>
> I use the exp/imp binaries of DB8, I did the exp/imp from the DB8 machine
>
> I tried a lot of combinaisons:
> exp:
> NLS=UTF8
> NLS=US7ASCII
>
> I created the DB8
> UTF8
> WE8ISO88591
> US7ASCII
>
> imp:
> NLS=UTF8
> NLS=US7ASCII
> NLS=WE8ISO8859P1
>
> with no success, with errors like :
>
> Export file created by EXPORT:V08.01.07 via conventional path
> import done in UTF8 character set and US7ASCII NCHAR character set
> import server uses US7ASCII character set (possible charset conversion)
> IMP-00067: Could not convert to server character set's handle
> IMP-00000: Import terminated unsuccessfully
>

> What is the right combinaison ???
> I have no special characters in DB9
> Can you help me ???
> Thanks in advance ...

One possible way:
Import data into an intermediate 9i (US7ASCII) database. Then exp data from this 9i database and import it in your 8i database.

Oracle recommends not using al32utf8 if you are going to be connecting from 9i to 8i
(See for example Metalink Note: 237593.1)

Anurag Received on Thu Mar 24 2005 - 20:12:38 CST