Re: Character set blues...

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:19:49 +0100

Jeremy wrote:
> In article <d1sdvr$7vr$1_at_news2.zwoll1.ov.home.nl>, Frank van Bortel
> says...
>

>>*How* do you look inside your clob? Just an hint: could it
>>be your *tool* to inspect your clob does not recognize the "๋" in
>>ori๋nterend and displays a question mark?
>>

> No the tool will display fine the accented chars (have tested this
> already). Simply put, we receive the XML into the clob as described and
> simply insert that into a table (also defined as a clob column). No
> messing about with the the data whatsoever - and the accented chars have
> gone.

Well, in that case, I don't understand the: <quote>
Whe we look into the CLOB we don't see these - instead we see e.g. "ori?nterend".
</quote>

OK - may we conclude from this that:

- the HTTP is correct
- the interface to the database is correct
- the database itself is correct
- the tool(s) used to inspect the CLOB is/are correct
with correct being correct as far as NLS settings are concerned.

>>The http post is in what character set?

> Tried this via 2 DADs - one ISO-8859-1 the other UTF-8 - same result in
> both cases.

See above - seems OK

>>The NLS_LANG environment variable of the client, that
>>picks it (the XML message) up, has what setting?

> Controlled (as far as I can tell) by the DAD settings.

Yes - but the values?!? Seems OK - see above

>>Your database uses what settings as characterset?

> WE8ISO8859 I think.

Capable of displaying accented characters

>>The tool you use, uses what for NLS_LANG?

> Pass.
>

>>Another hint: use the dump() function
>>

> Not aware of dump - this is an oracle function?

Yes

> Hmm... just tried
>
> select dump('a') from dual;
>
> DUMP('A')
> Typ=96 Len=1: 97
>
> 97 is the ascii code for lower case 'a' - what is the typ=96? Or I could
> RTFM of course.

Well - the ASCII code is what it's all about (as a tool to see is the diacritical characters come over). We've established they do - so it's a futile exercise by now.

If you still have a problem, explain where.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel