Re: Opteron systems - mixed 32/64 bit environment - need linux suggestions

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:05:58 +0100

jef wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:03:00 +0100, Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>>jef wrote:

>>>Isn't there a server-side install, at least for the Repository
>>>and the Runtime service on the DB server?
>>
>>Repository, yes, but no need to run it on the same
>>machine...
>>Runtime service - what runtime service?

> Perhaps I don't understand the product fully (and I don't claim to - just
> trying to get a grip on things still). I'm just going from
> some of the docs that my DBA gave me:
>
> "You must run the Warehouse Builder Runtime Assistant to create runtime
> objects for each of your target warehouse schemas. Run the Runtime
> Assistant immediately after performing the OWB Server Side Install, and on
> the same machine where you performed the OWB Server Side Install."
>
> So, is this an unneccesary option?
>
> thanks
>
> jef

OK - I would consider that a part of the client code; a matter of words. It is, however, *not* a runtime *process* - it's a matter of generating objects, that are use when your DW gets populated, or reported from. These are called the runtime objects.

It's really all (materialized) views, pl/sql, jobs, etc what is created, nothing you couldn't have done yourself, manually, given time.
No process. Nothing weird, opaque, invisible, magic. It's Oracle.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel