Re: Best Linux distribution...

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:39:18 GMT

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 15:01:49 +0100, Fabrizio wrote:

> Only on the server you wish to be supported on.
>
> You can have as many servers without license as you wish (even in
> production).
>
> While Oracle support both operating system and RDBMS since SLES is under
> "Unbreakable" certification.
>
> (SLES7 is not supported anymore but I obtained good help from SuSE
> technicians nonetheless).

I agree. To paraphrase:

For support there needs to be at least one active (paid) Oracle license and one SLES license, otherwise a TAR can not be opened. If a support question (TAR) is raised with Oracle then, ethically & morally, testing of the responses should be carried out only on the supported machine.

Personally I've preferred SLES over RHEL since early SLES8 - I'd received excellent support from SuSE. However, back in the SLES8 days parts of the distro were proprietary (specifically YaST) and could not be legally redistributed. So for evaluation, training and learning, I'd moved to TaoLinux (RHEL 3 clone like WhiteBoxLinux) and for production and test I'd gone to SLES.

The restriction about Yast, I believe, has changed with SLES9. Needs to be confirmed though.

/Hans Received on Tue Mar 22 2005 - 09:39:18 CST