Re: Best Linux distribution...

From: Fabrizio <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:06:52 +0100

Cris Carampa wrote:
> Fabrizio wrote:
>

>> The linux distribution by itself is free

> Is this your interpretation or is it clearly stated somewhere?
>
> Thank you. Kind regards,

I'm no lawyer but I discussed the matter several time with my novell sale reps.

My company pays only the technical support and the medias. We don't pay the software by itself or the number of installation (they are considered only for support).

Here is what I read in the Novell license included in the distribution:

The Software is a collective work of Novell. You may make and use unlimited copies of the Software for Your distribution and use within Your Organization. The term "Organization" means a legal entity, excluding subsidiaries and affiliates with a separate existence for tax purposes or for legal personality purposes. An example of an Organization in the private sector would be a corporation, partnership, or trust, excluding any subsidiaries or affiliates of the organization with a separate tax identification number or company registration number. In the public sector, an example of Organization would be a specific goverment body or local goverment authority.

And below:

The Software is protected by the copyright laws and treaties of the United States ("U.S.") and other countries and is subject to the terms of this Agreement. The Software is licensed to You, not sold.

You can read the full text by downloading the distro.

The website refer only to 30 day evaluation for the support. I can ensure the distro is not going to stop working after 30 days. (I have several machines installed which have been running for months without "activation codes").

Most of the software (not all) is under GPL.

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe