Re: Opteron systems - mixed 32/64 bit environment - need linux suggestions

From: jef <not_at_ho.me>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:03:36 -0500

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:39:06 -0800, DA Morgan wrote:

> If you are going 64bit why go with Linux and why go with Redhat?
> You can do it with Apple Macs and OSX/Darwin for 1/2 the price.

To get product support from the application vendor that is using this whole setup, in our current environment, it's either Solaris or Redhat. And since we have migrated from a mostly-Solaris shop to a mostly-linux shop, Apple/OSX/Darwin don't really fit.

> But if you do go this route I believe what you are hearing from Redhat
> is correct but only a fool wouldn't have them put it in writing.

Oh, don't worry about that - I will make sure that this is so.

> With respect to Warehouse Builder would simply be ... try it. Which
> is something you should be doing already.

I agree - I'm not the DBA, though, so I can't get too involved in decisions on this particular front. They are at least moving in the right direction now.

Thanks for the input!

jef Received on Mon Mar 21 2005 - 10:03:36 CST