Re: Is 60M rows a lot?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:49:13 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1111208449.587556_at_yasure...
> Chris Markle wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Say I wanted to store a row per email for 2M emails per day for 30d...
>> That'd be 60M rows... And assume if you're wondering how big a row is
>> that it's 500 bytes. That'd be a table of 30GB. In the grand scheme of
>> small / medium / large DBs, where it this? I sorta thought it'd be medium
>> size, but others are telling me that's "large". Just trying to figure out
>> how whacked this this...
>>
>> Chris
>
> I would call it small. Quite frankly not significantly larger than the
> database on the notebook I use for teaching at the U which is 10GB.

snip a lot of pretty good stuff about small,medium and large databases.

I'd consider a 30gb TABLE, which seems to be what the OP is asking about to be worthy of techniques such as partitioning etc which apply to large databases. We aren't told if this is OLTP or not (i.e a mail server) but if it is 2 million+ transactions per working day seems to me not to be insignificant. Now admittedly back on the last coure I did, I got told by a fellow attendee that *everyone* was a 24*7 global multi-billion dollar business, but that isn't my world.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA