Re: Is 60M rows a lot?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 23:59:32 +1100

Chris Markle apparently said,on my timestamp of 19/03/2005 2:26 PM:

> Say I wanted to store a row per email for 2M emails per day for 30d...
> That'd be 60M rows... And assume if you're wondering how big a row is that
> it's 500 bytes. That'd be a table of 30GB. In the grand scheme of small /
> medium / large DBs, where it this? I sorta thought it'd be medium size, but
> others are telling me that's "large". Just trying to figure out how whacked
> this this...

Not whacked at all. Back in the days of 8.0, we were doing 400Mrows with 20Mrow added daily. Partitioned table, of course. Quite a few of these tables as well. Around 3Tb db size. OLTP too. This was around 6-7 years ago. I'd say with 9i or 10g, you can probably go up an order of magnitude in modern hardware. So, no: 30Gb table size is pretty average. Of course it is contingent on you using reasonably up to date h/w and s/w.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto