Re: Opteron systems - mixed 32/64 bit environment - need linux suggestions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:39:06 -0800

jef wrote:

> Hi - looking for some advice on implementing a few new systems running
> several Oracle products. We are looking at HP's Opteron systems, and
> because of vendor requirements for the application that will use the
> database, we have to go with a Redhat product.
>
> My initial plan is the 32-bit version of Redhat ES for several reasons.
>

> 1) The hardware will only be dual-processor (but 4 processor
> capacle) systems. Redhat has led me to believe that if we add 2 more
> processors, it's just a matter of upgrading our license to AS. Any
> experiences to the contrary?
>

> 2) Even though the system will be 64-bit, and Oracle supports the x86-64
> version of the OS, we will have to have Oracle Warehouse Builder
> installed, which as far as I can tell, does not have an x86-64 version.
> I can't seem to find any information about the consequences of trying to
> run the OS and everything else at 64-bit and tossing a 32-bit application
> into the mix. On Solaris Sparc, this wouldn't worry me - should it on
> x86-64? Or is all 32-bit the way to go?
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice/thoughts/suggestions that folks using
> this stuff might have.
>
> thanks!
>
> jef

If you are going 64bit why go with Linux and why go with Redhat? You can do it with Apple Macs and OSX/Darwin for 1/2 the price.

But if you do go this route I believe what you are hearing from Redhat is correct but only a fool wouldn't have them put it in writing.

With respect to Warehouse Builder would simply be ... try it. Which is something you should be doing already.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington