Re: Database Consolidation

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:34:42 -0800

dnguy19_at_gmail.com wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'm looking for something with regards to Cache. It's not a well-known
> database. But what I would really like to know is with regards to a
> database consolidataion plan, what are some of the issues that could
> possible go wrong? (Securityy, stability, data loss, performance, etc).
> The plan doesn't have to be specifically for a database product, just
> what are the general issues that can be experienced with this type of
> project.
>
> Thanks,
> Dnguy19

Generically:

Duplicating functionality
Migrating business logic
Migrating data
Security
Performance
Stability
Inability of technical staff to code for it (they may get the syntax but do they understand the architecture and concepts and best practices?) Inability of technical staff to debug problems Inability of technical staff to provide tuning Lack of management support with sufficient training $ before and after Inability to recover from hardware and other crashes Inability to restore transactions due to failures Lack of willingness of current employees to evolve to new technology Lack of willingness of end users to evolve to new technology

Is that enough to make you want a bottle of scotch of your own? Mine's taken.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington