Re: How to best reset a column to null on very large tables.

From: peter <p_msantos_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Mar 2005 08:34:13 -0800

Hey Mark,
 thanks for the feedback, I've read lots of your comments on metalink (good stuff!!).

For some specific customers who null out the same columns over and over we've added an index so that it locates the rows faster and since the rows affected are a small percentage it makes sense. The problem is for most of the customers that can null out any one of 100 demographic columns...we just can't index every column.

I think as you mentioned, the best option is to FTS the table in parallel, identify the rows to be nulled out and make sure this transaction has a dedicated rollback segment.

thanks Mark.
peter Received on Fri Mar 18 2005 - 10:34:13 CST