Re: new db new istance...

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:39:43 -0800

gaddoz wrote:

> Hi all,
> i'm a newbie in Oracle.
> I'm just trying to create a new db on a serverTest.
> On the serverTest I've already installed a first instance of Oracle, with a
> zDbTest.
> Can you help me with a step by step, or with a good link?
>
> Thank you all.
>
> gaddoz

If you have an instance then you have a database and you are likely confusing Oracle with some other RDBMS product.

In Oracle "DATABASE" = physical files on the hard disk

           "INSTANCE" = in memory processes In Oracle one can have a 1:Many relationship betweent the two.

What I suspect you wish to create is a user with objects called a schema. First create the user:

CREATE USER <user_name>
IDENTIFIED BY <password>
DEFAULT TABLESPACE <tablespace_name>
TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <temorary_tablespace_name_probably_temp> QUOTA 0 ON SYSTEM
QUOTA 0 ON SYSAUX -- only if 10g
QUOTA <some_value> ON <default_tablespace_name>;

GRANT create session TO <user_name>;
GRANT create table TO <user_name>;

After that you can either create objects such as tables on an individual basis or use CREATE SCHEMA to create a group of objects as part of a single transaction.

http://www.psoug.org
click on Morgan's Library
click on SCHEMA

--