Re: SQL Server 2005 - Still not upto it

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 18:21:52 GMT

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:51:38 -0500, Aaron [SQL Server MVP] wrote:

> Personally, I think there is some value in getting the functionality
> perfected before you start optimizing performance. It's the same approach I

Functionality is what you sell the customer. Performance is what keeps it sold.

The former can be handled with prototype code. While I agree with Aaron's sentiments in other fibres in this thread (about designing with performance vs fine tuning), too often organizations simply throw the prototype over the wall and expect THAT to be 'fine tuned'.

Further, there are a lot of people who believe that designing can be vendor-independent, not accepting the fact that beauty (the SQL) is only skin deep. However, the internal workings can, and do, make a huge difference in how the design needs to be approached.

/FGB Received on Wed Mar 16 2005 - 12:21:52 CST