Re: back to the future

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:36:06 -0500

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:rKadndq77e9nCqrfRVn-2A_at_comcast.com...
> Mark C. Stock wrote:
>

>> "Specify how far back you wish to flash the database in the future"
>>

> Believe it or not we agonized over this one for a long time. At the end we
> simply couldn't find a more succinct way to say what it says without
> losing the meaning.
>
> If anybody has any alternatives I'd be interested in hearing them
>
> The "from now own" doesn't work because it may not be from now on, it
> could be from whatever you set the flashback period to be from now on.

OK., seriously... the meaning is not all that clear, but i think i know what it means, based on the other docs and the prompt on the next line on the screen. How about something simple, like:

"Specify maximum flashback retention period:"

It's obviously going to be used in the future, as are all configuration settings (max extents for future space allocation, max open cursors for future processes, etc., etc.). And if I increase the retention period, I can pretty much guess it won't be retroactively applied. ("Could you please increase the flashback retention to 7 days, I think I dropped a table a day or two or so ago?"). Or have I drawn wrong conclustions?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my silly semi-rant.

++ mcs Received on Tue Mar 15 2005 - 22:36:06 CST