Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 15 Mar 2005 18:57:04 -0600

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au wrote:
> Galen Boyer apparently said,on my timestamp of 15/03/2005 1:00 PM:
>

>> One that I was involved in two projects ago.  They passed XML
>> around and
>> it was immensely successful.
>>

> I'm glad you got one working. I've been unable to find one,
> involving relational databases and (J2EE or XML).
>
>> 2 years ago, Entity Beans were industry standard, stateful session
>> beans were the rage and stateless session beans were the workhorses.
>> They were part of the J2EE spec, so clearly, they were the correct
>> way to go.  Now, each one of those is shown to be horrific designs
>> and they are starting to talk about Plain Old Java Objects, but I
>> guess thats an architecture.

> Meanwhile, a long string of disasters has followed those 2 years.
> Who's gonna pay for all that wasted effort? Sun? No way!
> Wanna bet it's Oracle who's gonna foot the bill?
>

>> Quality is all about the architect and implementation.  It can be
>> done with java and XML.

> Sure. Look, I don't deny that there are very smart people in the
> XML and J2EE camps. I've worked with some that I do recognize
> at expert level. And I found them perfectly reasonable people
> who can argue a point of view and accept a discordant one when
> it's well presented. Not a problem, that's what life is all about.
>
> It's the one-size-fits-all mentality that sends me waco. Because
> I've seen first hand the disasters it causes. Time and time again,
> over many many years: J2EE and XML are not the only fads in IT
> and they won't be the last.

The biggest problem is that they have the J2EE spec. The developers now don't have to argue the merit of the crap they put forth. They just say they are following the spec and industry standard. Meanwhile, the spec itself imposes an architecture that is slightly scalable at best. Entity Beans? Please. Everybody knows they suck, and 3-4 years ago I was arguing that they suck. It was clear from their architecture that they sucked. Didn't matter. The java crowd had the J2EE spec so they were doing the right thing.

The problem is the spec and the marching orders it affords everybody.

--
Galen deForest Boyer